Staying at Montgomery House

Student ID

Montgomery House is a student’s residency. You will be asked to provide details of the course you will be attending or if you are an oversees student you will also be asked for a copy of your Student Visa and passport.

Holding your unit

If you have a specific unit you would like, and it requires holding for you, a holding deposit is required. The holding deposit secures the landlord against all reasonable costs incurred should you withdraw from the agreement or fail to take up the tenancy within the agreed timescale. This is payable at the same time as the Agency Fee.

Administration Fee

At the point you submit or confirm your application, a fee is payable to cover the administration and referencing costs. This including the preparation of the tenancy documentation and cost of credit references. These costs are shared with the Pod owner and will be kept to a minimum. If you have paid a Holding Fee, these costs will be taken from that fee. The fee is non-refundable if you fail or withdraw the application.

The Tenancy Agreement

The tenancy agreement you sign will normally be 42-week Assured Shorthold Tenancy to match the academic year. Post Graduates often stay a full year in which case it will be a 52-week agreement. If you are staying longer than 1 year it will have to be renewed with a new start and end date. The tenancy is a standard shorthold assured tenancy. That is, it does not role over into a monthly tenancy. We will contact you prior to the end of the tenancy to discuss your plans and any renewal requirements. There will be a small nominal fee for this as the Guarantee will have to be renewed each year as well.

Additional information


Montgomery house is a non-smoking building and that includes inside the units. Smoking is allowed outside in designated areas. Please note that there is no car parking for tenants.

TV Licences

There are televisions I the main lounges and in most kitchens for your viewing. As part of the Residence Agreement you are required to be considerate to other students. That includes use of the TV. If you have a TV in your room, you will be required to purchase your own TV licence. You will not be covered by the Montgomery House License.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

At the start of every tenancy we collect a deposit, normally equal to a minimum of one month’s rent. This is used in the event of breakage or damage caused.

In accordance with the Housing Act 2004, landlords are no longer permitted to retain a tenant’s deposit we will hold your deposit in the Deposit Protection Service, a custodial based scheme. The scheme will send you a Deposit Protection Confirmation detailing your Deposit ID and Repayment ID. You will need this information whenever you make an enquiry. Throughout your tenancy you can access the details of your deposit online and are able to keep your contact details up to date. This is especially important if your phone number or email address changes.

What happens if there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy?

In the event of a dispute, both parties will have 10 days to resolve the matter. If no resolution has been reached, they will be invited to make use of the Alternative Dispute Resolution process that is provided free with the Deposit Protection Service. Should the parties opt for Alternative Dispute Resolution they will be bound by its decision with no redress to the courts.

When can I check in?

If all the paperwork is complete and satisfactory, you can check in on or any time after the start date of your tenancy agreement.  It is best to agree a date and time to move as we ask you to visit the building managers office where you can make yourself known as a new tenant. You will be asked to sign a residence agreement.

Tenants Insurance

When renting a Pod at Montgomery House, it is very important to make sure you are covered by insurance for any damages to your property that may occur. The landlord’s own insurance will not cover the tenant’s belongings. It will also exclude cover for if a tenant accidentally damages the landlord’s property and therefore it could result in the loss of your deposit to cover the repairs.


Rents are paid in advance and by standing order unless otherwise agreed by the landlord / agent.

What to bring

You will need to bring your own bedding and towels. That includes pillows and covers. These can be provided on arrangement at additional cost. There may be a desk light, but it is not guaranteed. You may want to bring a few cushions and other items to make your room more personal to you.

Cooking utensils are provided, and an ironing board and iron are available on requires. Toiletries are not provided so you will need them as well.

Register your interest

If you are considering Manchester as an option but not yet had your results to make a final decision, register with us by completing the form on this page. We will then confirm your registration and put you on the waiting list for the new year. You will need to get back to us as soon as you firm up your plans.

As a full time student, you will need a parent, relative or close friend to guarantee the rent and adherence to any other tenant obligation listed within the agreement. This will part of the documentation required before you begin your stay at Montgomery House.

More details

Complete our enquiry form and we'll check availability and quickly get back to you.

© Montgomery Manchester Ltd. Registered in England No: 11907880
Registered Office: 2 Nursery Farm, Carr Lane, Keighley, BD20 5RY
Designed & Developed by Digital-Development